Tuesday, September 14, 2004

95 pages and counting

So the first 95 pages of the book are done. Tasha gave it a thorough once over, I made some changes based on her edits and notes, and I should be sending it to my agent tommorrow. I feel really, really good about it. I think there is an audience for what I'm trying to say. It's just a matter of convincing publishers of that fact. And hoping that they committ serious marketing dollars to it. I've already thought about the magazines, websites and television shows that I would want to make sure they submit me to. (Besides the obvious ones that is.) It sounds like serious cart before the horse thinking, but if and when I hit, I want to be totally prepared. I knew actors in LA who kept a headshot and resume with them at all time. Just in case. In the creative world, that's how you have to think.

The only thing that sucks is that now I don't have a deadline hanging over me and it might be harder to keep myself motivated. I think I'm going to have to give myself a self-imposed finish date. Like maybe I have to be finished by Thanksgiving. I also feel like I've been neglecting the hell out of my act. It's not like there are a ton of places to do stand-up in Tucson, but I haven't been paying attention to my act. I certainly haven't been writing enough, getting my tape out to bookers. It's the part of the business that I hate the most. Imagine simultaneously applying for jobs in almost every major city in the country. You have to send all those people your resumes, then call back and make sure they got it. Then call back to see if they want to bring you in for an interview. I feel like Jack Lemmon's character in Glengarry Glen Ross.

"Yes, this is Shelley Levene calling on behalf of the very funny Nick Adams."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

< # Okayplayer?! ? >